top of page

B-1/B-2 Visitor Visa

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for a temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), for tourism (visa category B-2), or for a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2).

The B1/B2 visa covers a variety of reasons for travel to the United States that includes both business and tourism/non-business purposes.

Reasons for travel under a B1/B2 visa include but are not limited to:

  • Conducting business, such as negotiating a contract or attending business meetings

  • Attending a conference relevant to a profession, education, or current business endeavor

  • Settling a relative’s estate

  • Engaging in tourist activities or take a vacation

  • Visiting family

  • Receiving medical treatment

  • Attending or taking part in events, such as concerts or classes, as long as there is no payment or credit given to the attendee

You cannot travel under this visa to engage any of the following, per the U.S. Department of State:

  • Study

  • Long-term employment by a U.S. firm

  • Paid performances, or any professional performance before a paying audience

  • Arrival as a crewmember on a ship or aircraft

  • Work as foreign press, in radio, film, print journalism, or other information media

  • Permanent residence in the United States

To be eligible for a B-1 or B-2 visa, the applicant must prove that the travel is temporary and they have the ability to self-fund all costs of the trip. Additionally, they must prove that they have no intent of remaining in the United States beyond their stay and abandoning a residence outside of the United States.

Documents needed to apply:

  • A passport valid for six months past the date of return

  • A recent digital photograph, which meets these requirements

  • Documentation of the past five previous trips to the United States, if applicable

  • Proof of funds to cover the entire cost of the trip, including travel, accommodation, and living expenses

  • Proof of binding ties to their home country, such as a job, property, or family

Note: The Visa Waiver Program allows nationals from certain countries to travel to the United States without a visa for business, tourism, or while in transit for up to 90 days. As to February 3, 2022, the program currently covers 40 countries and territories, including most countries in the European Union.

Blumsack & Canzano, P.C.
In a world of uncertainty, you and your family may want to maximize their choices—both in terms of lifestyle and opportunities. Whatever your motivation, Blumsack & Canzano, P.C. always has trusted immigration advisors. We deliver comprehensive solutions and a seamless immigration experience for you, your family, and your advisors around the world.


The experienced immigration lawyers at Blumsack & Canzano, P.C. provide various legal services to employers, employees, individuals, and families in the Boston area and other areas. Immigration issues are complex, and if they are not handled properly, they may have serious impacts. We have an in-depth understanding of immigration law and are committed to providing customers with comprehensive solutions in all areas of immigration law. 

bottom of page